Álvaro Arbeloa has confirmed he will leave his roe as Real Madrid coach at the end of the season.
When asked in a news conference Friday if the game against Athletic Club would be his last, Arbeloa said “yes.”
Former player Arbeloa had been widely expected to be on his way out after he was unable to steer the team to a title this season following his promotion from the club’s reserve team in January to replace the fired Xabi Alonso.
Madrid lost to a second-division opponent in the Copa del Rey in Arbeloa’s debut. It then exited the Champions League quarterfinals to Bayern Munich, and will finish second in LaLiga to Barcelona.
José Mourinho has verbally agreed to rejoin Madrid and could be confirmed in the coming days, sources told ESPN.
“I’m leaving Real Madrid with a great deal of gratitude towards my players,” he said.
“They’ve made me a better person, helped me enjoy every day, taught me a great deal, and made me a better manager today than I was on January 12. I’m also very grateful to the club president and [club general director] José Ángel [Sanchez] for the opportunity they’ve given me, and to everyone involved with the first team.
“I’m leaving Real Madrid feeling grateful because over the last eight years I’ve got to know the club better. I’ve worked with so many people and I’m leaving with many friends, feeling very happy, and I hope that one day I can return.
“I hope it’s just a temporary farewell; I’ve always considered Madrid my home. I’ve been part of Real Madrid for 20 years — I’ll always considered it my home.”
Asked if he could be a part of Mourinho’s coaching staff, Arbeloa said: “I’m not here to talk about possibilities. As for Mourinho, he has a fantastic coaching staff, just as good as he is. He’s in excellent company. If he comes here to Real Madrid, he’ll bring his coaching staff with him, as he should. There’s no chance that I’ll be joining him.
– Enrique Riquelme intends to run for Real Madrid president
– Real Madrid clear Vinícius Júnior to leave early for Brazil World Cup camp – sources
– Sources: Real Madrid plot major changes with José Mourinho arrival
“I’ve spent the last four months not thinking about myself, but about Real Madrid and the next match. From Monday onwards, it’ll be time for me to think about what’s best for me. I look back a year ago, training with the youth team, the reserves, and a year later here I am. I’ve already made the leap; I’ve improved a great deal over these four months and I feel ready for new challenges. From Monday onwards, it’ll be time for me to think about them.”
Arbeloa said about his players: “I am very grateful to all of them for what we have been through over the last four months. I realise that with 25 people, you can’t have the same relationship with everyone. I’m sure that over these months we’ve had our differences, as is to be expected. I won’t be the first or the last. Any manager can have differences with his players, but I’ve always resolved them in the best possible way, and they’ve done the same with me.
“They’ve always shown me great respect, and I’ve tried to show them the same in return.”
Saturday’s game with Athletic Club will also be the last game for veteran defenders Dani Carvajal and David Alaba, whose contracts are about to expire.
Carvajal’s departure was announced on Monday, with Madrid confirming on Friday that it would also part ways with Alaba.
Right back Carvajal, 34, has helped Madrid win six Champions Leagues since 2013, while the 33-year-old Alaba contributed in two of those European Cup conquests since arriving in 2021.
“David Alaba carries with him the affection of all madridistas for his dedication, his work, and an iconic image in our journey toward the Fourteenth, symbolizing the celebration of a victory that is now a part of our club’s history. Real Madrid will always be his home,” Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez said in a news release.
Information from ESPN’s Rodra and Alex Kirkland as well as The Associated Press was used in this report.